Monday, December 21, 2009

Children obey your parents...

I overheard my daughter coughing, such a cute little sound.  Earlier I spoke to my wife regarding Ephesians 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right" (ESV).  And this is a great verse for the church.  Esp. an Asian church...the whole honor, duty, obey culture...

But I wonder-what does the word child mean?  When does one stop being a child?  Mark 10:7 and Genesis 2:23-24 say that a man will leave his parents when he takes a wife.  He becomes independant, and on his own.  Sure he is still someone's son, but it would seem he starts his own family and raises a new set of kids...which I would think makes him not a child.

So how to practice this verse?  I guess I would hope that the parents of grown children would understand and not use Eph 6:1 over their children.*  And at the same time for those who are still children to not use this info as a licence to run amok!  Yet Eph. 5:21 tells us to submit to one another.

Interestingly I heard some new grandparents had shared about their experience at the hospital's grandparents baby class-the teacher emphasized, "its time to let go."  And this new grandparent repeated that, "its time to let go".

*The Bible does speak to not exasperate your children. Col 3:21.